Tuesday, April 10, 2018

An awful vacancy

I've been working down along the south Gulf coast of Texas. It's hot and humid, the work is boring and useless, and I'm counting the days until I can return to the Pacific Northwest.
But every so often I look out across the immense expanse of flatland that is this part of North America and shiver with fear.
The idea of being caught here, in this featureless plain, in this vast expanse of nothingness, as a gigantic storm birthed in the fury of the tropic seas howls ashore, driving before it the remorseless surge of the waters of the sullen Gulf beyond, fills me with an almost inexpressible terror.
This really is an awful place.

3 comments:

Ael said...

I'm told that Texans are more concerned by their northern geography.
They say that there is nothing between them and Canada except a barbed wire fence.

I'm further told that they say that most often after a blizzard blows down upon them.

FDChief said...

I've heard that the "blue northers" are pretty vicious.

Still. This place has a sort of sullen southern discomfort like I've never seen, and I lived in North Carolina for quite a while. Maybe it's being a domiciled Cascadian, but the vast flat expanse of...well, flatness? It REALLY creeps me out.

Brian Train said...

I've had something of the same feeling travelling across Canada's prairie provinces... a lot of flat, just like your pictures, with stands of trees in the distance.