Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Jukebox II: Gospel Time Edition

The preceding Laura Love post made me think of one this song, "Blind Bartemus", a gospel tune she covers in her disc "Octoroon". Here's the audio at rhapsody.com - worth a listen.But I couldn't find a video for the Love cover. While searching, though, I came across this, a wonderful recording by the Harps of Melody, a Memphis gospel group that sang across the south during the Fifties and Sixties. A dipper of fresh, clear water from the dark and mighty river that flows out of the wellsprings of Africa. Lovely.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I am a huge gospel fan, too! Got hooked on the early a.m. FAMU Gospel Hour whilst driving to class. There's no spirit felt like that present at a real gospel sing (and I'm afraid the white ones just don't qualify.)

I am moved because they are lovely, sweet and purely naive.

And who cannot cry when the pipes are playing "Amazing Grace"?